19 February 2007

another nelson "adventure"

i had a furry trying day yesterday. part of it's pretty hazy in my memory; the other kitties tell me i chased an invisible monster round and round until i was tired and lay down, and then mom and dad just petted me and kept me warm with a blankie. they kept saying something about "seizing", but they didn't grab me at all, so i don't think it was me they were talking about. mom told me at one time that it was ok to leave if i needed to, but i REALLY didn't feel up to going anywhere! i kept thinking at them that they should get the license plate of the truck that hit me. they just didn't hear me, though, so i guess the damn guy will get away with it. odd that someone drove through our living room and nobody noticed but me. mom wiped my mouth with a tissue and dad sponged up a few pee dribbles; i don't remember doing THAT, either, but i sure felt wobbly.

after they let me rest a bit, they shined a flashlight in my eyes, pried open my mouth and inspected my gums, bent my feets and hips and legs, made noises and wiggled their fingers at me--as if i hadn't had enough annoyance already! i seem to remember a man doing that to me before in a furry cold room. but that musta been a dream. . .

after a long rest, i got up and walked carefully over to my spot behind the woodstove and napped for a quite a time. later on, i got up and went to the Uncle Eeker Memorial Cat Window and Perch in the kitchen, where my food plate and water bowl are, and hollered until someone paid attention and gave me stuff to eat. gosh, beans can be thick sometimes. but i began to feel pretty much like my old self then.

i showed up for supper, too, and even asked for second supper (like a hobbit--after all, i DO have hairy toes) -- and they GAVE me some! so i had a long slumber but was up at the crack of 5:15 dancing for my kibble this morning. i don't know why dad was so glad to see me--usually he's pretty grouchy about it.

but tonight when mom and dad came home, instead of supper like usual, i got bundled unceremoniously into the brown PTU and hauled off to the v.e.t. our favorite lady doc, dr. harders, was at a veterinary convention in las vegas (yeah, sure) ;-) ;-) ;-), so we met dr. jane flathers; she is furry nice, too, and not much bigger than me! well, ok, a little bigger. she listened to my heart for a long time, and finally said that in light of the previous episode and symptoms, and the fact that cats rarely develop epilepsy--especially in geezerhood--she felt that my sickness was due to not enough blood getting pushed out of my heart. so she prescribed a medicine that will help my heart push. now we'll wait and see. i hope it works; i really was tired after yesterday, and i now and then i need energy to whip up on ed and nitro when they get cheeky!

when we got home, we all got special stinky goodness and i got some mixed with my KD. it was yummy!! then i rested lots more, and mom poked that damn pill down my gullet. she told me to be happy it was only a half-pill, since i only weigh 9.75#. so that's my story, and i'm stickin' to it.

thanks for all your purrs and purrrayers, furriends, and i hope you will continue. mom & dad like their kitties to last until they're 20, so they get their "money's worth", an' that means i gotta stick around for at least 3 more years! (i don't get that "money's worth" phrase, either. dad got me for free while i was mousing in their warehouse--WHAT money?)

purrs, nels

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sure do hope the medicine keeps you from having any more seizures. That's gotta be purrty scary. We're purraying and purring that nothing like that happens to you anymore! Do you have to take pills every day now?

Artsy Catsy said...

Nels, we're all very glad you're feeling better and getting fixed up with some medicine. Our woofer, Pepper, has had some seizures, too, and we know how scary it is! Take care now!

Rocky

KC and the Giggleman Kitties said...

o, Nels, i wuz so skeered fur u's. Grr, Midnight & Cocoa, they emailed ta tell me u's wuz sick.

i's so glad u's be feeling better now.

i's almost worried my whiskers off when i seen that email 'bout you.

sounds like u be feelin good now, 'n hungry.

luv an purrrsss, KC

pee ess: beans sumtimes don't make sense, do they? they says fings that be just strange. but we luvs 'em anyway, right.

The M's said...

Nels, we are glad to hear that you are feeling better. We hope that truck never runs through your house ever again.

Hot(M)BC said...

hey Nels, we're all glad you're feeling better! Maybe you should get your beans to put up a "no thorofare" sign in your living room for you to keep that truck away. Hope the meds help you out lots.
Purrrrrrrrs,
your bud Pepi
and my nutty sisfurs Gree, Sanjee, Boni and Mini

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Oh my, that must have been very scary! I hope the medication helps you. Me and my humans will keep you in our purrayers.

Millie said...

Yowza Nels! How very scary! Good thing your beans were there to help you after the truck incident.

I hope the medicine works for you.

Myst and Blackie said...

Nels... we will help you put bitey on that truck that got you. We are saying purrayers that the medicine helps & that you are happy & healthy for a while yet.

Anonymous said...

Nels. . . this is your auntie talking, and since you have had your ears cleaned out real good listen up. . . . "KNOCK THAT CRUD OFF"! No scaring the beans anymore. . please? I promises if you get better I will not yell anymore and I may even find some goodies to pack up and send.

Madness, Trouble, Squish and Milkbone said...

Oh Nels we were so worried. We are glad you are back to your old self. We hope the new meds help. Headbutts & Purrs.

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

We luvs you Nels!! Keep getting better.

LZ said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. You must have scared your humans a whole lot! I hope the medicine helps you feel better.

Kaze

The Meezers or Billy said...

Oh Nels, we hopes that the pills werk and you doesn't haf to go frough that again!!!!

Gemini said...

Oh Nels!!! Momma said that would be furry scary. We're furry glad that you are doing better. Purrs and headbutts.

Daisy said...

Nels, I am glad you are feeling better. Can you tell me what kind of pill you are taking? My sister Pixie has a heart condition, and takes several medicines. Anyway, she has occasional "seizures" too, related to her heart. Hers last less than a minute, and she is fine afterwards. She has had them for the last couple of years. They are very, very scary when they are happening though, aren't they?

Mr. Hendrix said...

Oh Nels, I'm so glad you're feeling better. I'll bet seizures are scary for all of you. I'm sorry you're going through all of this. Your beans take such good care of you I'm sure you'll be around lotsa lotsa years. Gentle headbutts and purrs. Hendrix

momsbusy said...

we is glads yu is feelins better. we hopes thems pills makes you nefer haf anofer see-shure agin. we is gonna keeps purraying fer you. kimiko & yuki

Fat Eric said...

Nels, stop scaring your humans, OK? Hope the pills help but yelling for a second supper certainly sounds like a good sign to me!

Kimo and Sabi said...

Wowy wow! That was a furry scary adventure! What a trip (no punn intended). Hopes yer feelin' better!

Just Ducky said...

Feel better sooner nels. Hopes the medicine helps your heart.

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

Ooh, good luck Nelson. We hope you get OK again real soon an those pills help! We hate v-e-t meds, but we know it does help sometime. Our good fren, The Winter Kitty, needed some help to stay around, an we liked that he could stay for many big moons more.

Jake and Bathsheba said...

Oh, Nels, we are so relieved that you are okay and can just take a pill to feel better. That was a very scary adventure and we hope you don't have another one.

Purrs,
~J&B

Max said...

Wow...Hank the dog used to have seizures but it wasn't his heart, it was his brain. But the Cat Who Came Before Me had problems with her heart pushing enough blood and the Woman says the medicine they gave her worked really good. And it was PEOPLE medicine! I hope it works really well for you, too...

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

Wow! I missed this yesterday! I am sorry you had suxh a bad day, but I am glad you are feeling better. I really hope that medicine makes you feel better.

Karen Jo said...

I hope the medicine works great for you and you don't have any more seizures. That was way too scary. Keep on feeling better and better.